With the rise of Zika and dengue fever cases and the year-round tropical humidity, Malaysia is a fertile ground for insects, bugs and mosquitoes. While outdoor activities and exploring the nature with kids promote bonding and a love for nature, it is essential to be prepared when going out.
Among the things we can do to prevent insect and mosquito bites during outings include:
- Wear long sleeves shirts, long pants and hat. Tuck in your pants and wear closed shoes if possible. High-tech athletic apparel and clothing that offers sun protection often have sufficiently tight weave to block bites.
- Choose light-coloured clothing. Mosquitoes are thought to be attracted to warm bodies, so staying cool is one way to avoid bites.
- Pick a breezy spot for your outing.
- Avoid standing water such as lakes and swamps as they are mosquito and insect havens, especially during hot months.
- Avoid peak mosquito hours when the sun rises and sets.
- Plug in fans directed at the lower half of your body as mosquitoes tend to fly very close to the ground to avoid wind.
- Use a combination of mosquito-repelling essential oils such as lemon eucalyptus, citronella, thyme, geranium and lavender in the diffuser for use in the patio or indoors.
- Sleep with a net over your bed, especially if there’s a dengue fever case in your residential area. For babies, use a netting with an elastic edge for a tight fit.
- Don’t waste money on an electric-hanging bug “zapper.” These have been shown to kill many bugs very effectively but generally the bugs killed are the non-harmful ones.
- Don’t let water stand near your home or campsite. It’s easy to unintentionally create habitats for mosquitoes to live and breed in. For instance, a kiddy pool left out in the summer sun for several days can soon become a hotbed for mosquitoes. Get rid of any standing water around your home or campsite. If you have a pool, cover it when it’s not in use and treat the water with chemical additives like chlorine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Water can also accumulate in discarded tires or industrial containers, construction ditches or trenches, natural low points on a piece of property and clogged storm drains.
Happikiddo carries a great variety of insect and mosquito repellents that are natural, non-toxic safe for babies and children. Check them out:
Mossif3 Natural Lizard Repellent
Made entirely from natural and bio-degradable minerals and essential oils, just place a minimum 2 packs on each side as wind may blow away the scent. Replace every three months.
Mossif3 Herbal Extracts Repellent
Works as a freshener, aromatherapy and natural mosquito repellent. Contains three to five types of herbal essential oils.
Mossif3 Naturair Freshener & Natural Mosquito Repellent
A spray that comes with three benefits of freshening air, aromatherapy and repelling mosquitoes. Its scent is also calming and relaxing.
Mossif3 Reed Diffuser & Natural Mosquito Repellent
Contains three types of essential oils that effectively repel mosquitoes and cockroaches, besides awakening your senses and soothing your mind and soul.
Little Bean Anti-Mosquito Sachet
Place the sachets anywhere for the instant effect of a mosquito repellent, effective for two weeks. DEET free and contains US EPA-approved essences.
Little Bean Anti-Mosquito Bracelet
Containing US EPA-approved natural essential extract to repel mosquito, it has been tested and proved effective up to 180 hours of protection. Can be used anywhere, and safe for infants too.
Little Bean Anti-Mosquito Patch
Made of natural essences and effective for 12 hours. Comes in a pack of 12 patches.
Badger Anti-Bug Shake & Spray
This organic spray bug repellent naturally repels insects with the pleasant aroma of citronella, rosemary, and wintergreen essential oils. The sturdy, lightweight aluminum bottle is recyclable.
Badger Anti-Bug Balm
Tied-and-true formulation of organic citronella, cedar, and lemongrass essential oils, which have been used for centuries to naturally repel insects. It smells good, feels good, and really works!
Badger Anti-Bug Stick
In a twist-up stick form, this is all-natural and 100% organic formula with no DEET, petrolatum or other chemicals. Proven to repel mosquitoes and flies for between three and four hours.
Baby Organix Buzz-Off After Bite Balm
Safe, natural and effective against bugs and insects. It works to repel and as a treatment for existing bites. Made with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Cera Alba, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Cetearyl Alchohol, and Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil.
Visit any of our stores, log on to our website or drop us a message in our FB or Instagram for more details.