It smells nice. It feels good on your child’s skin. And most of your friends are using it on their kids too. But is it the healthiest and safest choice?
When it comes to getting shampoos, lotions, and other personal care products for your children – or giving them guidance on making the right choice – it’s not always easy. The presence of chemicals like phthalates, parabens, and formaldehyde found in many skincare products can be detrimental when used in the long term.
Unlike adults, babies’ skin is thinner, more fragile and sensitive. It is also less resistant to bacteria and harmful substances in the environment, making it easily irritated. From mums to mums, here’s what we look for when choosing a skincare product for our little ones:
- Read the label – Investigate the product. Try to understand what goes into the bottle. The more ingredients you can pronounce, the better it is. If you see words with parabens, phthalates, sulfates, petroleum, fragrances and the likes, consider something else. Most importantly, read up the brand you’re buying from and make sure it’s a trusted company.
- Shop at specialty stores – Most of the healthier, safer range of products are available in specialty stores.
- Rate your products – Visit the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Database and type in your product. You’ll discover the rating for the hazard level of that brand. This will serve as a good starting point as to which of your current products may not be completely safe.
Always avoid these ingredients for children and when possible, for adults too:
- Fragrance – Many fragrance ingredients can trigger allergies and asthma; some linked to cancer and neurotoxicity and hormone disruption.
- Fluoride – Stains teeth and neurotoxic when swallowed.
- Ceteareth & PEG compounds (e.g. PEG -60) – Used in some cosmetic cream bases and can be contaminated with impurities, e.g. 1,4-dioxane, which may cause cancer.
- Triethanolamine (TEA) – Allergen that forms cancer-causing chemicals.
- Benzyl & Isopropyl Alcohol and Methylchloroisothiazolinone & Methylisothiazolinone – Irritant/allergen and neurotoxicity concerns
- Iodopropynylbutylcarbamate – Chemically similar to neurotoxic pesticides
- DEA-related ingredients – Used in some creamy and foaming products, such as moisturizers and shampoos. Can react to form nitrosamines, which may cause cancer.
- Petrolatum – Used in some hair products for shine and as a moisture barrier in some lip balms, lip sticks and moisturizers. Can be contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which may cause cancer.
- Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives – Used in a variety of cosmetics. Slowly release small amounts of formaldehyde, which causes cancer.
- Siloxanes – Used in a variety of cosmetics to soften, smooth and moisten. Suspected endocrine disrupter and reproductive toxicant (cyclotetrasiloxane).
- Sodium laureth (or lauryl) sulfate – Used in some foaming cosmetics, such as shampoos, cleansers and bubble bath. Can be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, which may cause cancer.
In Happikiddo, we carry a wide variety of completely natural, safe and kids-friendly toiletries:
This range checks the no-nasties list; it’s hypoallergenic and does not contain artificial colours, fragrances, animal by-products, SLS and SLES and petrochemicals. It’s alkaline-free and PH-balanced, with only pure essential oils used.
Known for its multipurpose features in soothing and providing deep hydration for sensitive skin. It is hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic. Made in the USA.
Mustela’s products are hypoallergenic, high-tolerance and do not contain any parabens, phenoxyethanol, phtalates or alcohol. It favours ingredients that are either natural or of natural origin.
The Tanamera range is formulated as naturally as possible where the use of artificial coloring, perfume, chemical actives and preservatives are avoided.
Putto Angel’s Magic
Formulated with 100% natural herbal extracts, the award-winning Putto is toxic-free and FDA-approved. Made in Korea.
The familiar brand that has been with us for generations, offering a full spectrum of baby care products.
The Eco Store kids range offers plant-based products that are natural and or renewable resources, biodegrable and have the lowest hazard rating in terms of health and environmental safety. Imported from New Zealand.
This range is fully certified organic and manufactured under strict organic standards. Its products are free of petrochemicals, artificial fragrances and colours, DEAs, SLS, PEGs and preservative. Made in Australia.
Homegrown brand that takes pride in offering gentle baby skincare products that are safe and tailored for sensitive skin, combining natural, certified organic oils and extracts that are gently cleansing, moisturizing and soothing.
Enriched with Vitamin E, aloe extract and natural essence oil, the Joielle Baby range is dermatologist-tested and hypoallergenic.
One of the leading brands for medicinal skin care for many years, the Sebamed range boasts a pH value 5.5 of healthy skin. Known for its cleansing bars which are 100% soap-free.
Earth Mama Angel Baby
Safe, herbal alternatives for babies, the EMAB range combines natural and organic ingredients that work, through generations of women’s wisdom and traditional plant medicine from contemporary, evidence-based research.
The Badger products harness the powers of aromatherapy, vitamin rich oils, essential oils and minerals to soothe, smooth and protect skin and mind. USDA Organic certified and made in the USA.
Get them from any of our stores at Publika, Quill City Mall, Citta Mall and DPulze or shop at http://www.happikiddo.com.my